Monday, August 24, 2009
USA August 2009
Monday 31 August (Rathdrum ID to Deer Lodge MT 251 miles)
Early visit to Les Schwab in Rathdrum to find that I need a new master cylinder for my brakes to work.....they are getting the part from Coeur d'Alene and hopefully it will be fixed by noon and I will be on the road again. Inez fetched me and we had a coffee at Starbucks and last minute shopping at Fred Meyer. I was on the road before 1pm with stops at the historic silver mining town of Wallace ID which is tucked under the freeway because all buildings are on the national historic register and famous for having the last stoplight on I90 and the Oasis Bordello, and at Alberton MT with its bookshop of 10000 books. I am now at Deer Lodge MT home of the Grant Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site and the Montana State prison. I90 is a beautiful interstate through Idaho and Montana, crossing the Clark Fork River many times, and there was a gorgeous sunset this evening.
Sunday 30 August
Plan to depart today for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons....but did not because my brakes failed....even after I had had them checked on Thursday....it is the master cylinder. So Inez and I drove up to Sandpoint and Clark Fork along the river.
Saturday 29 August
Forecast is for rain but hope that it holds off so that I can wash my van.
I washed my van at 8am and the rains started at 10am! Inez and I went to the local Farmers Market then a coffee at Starbucks before seeing Julie and Julia.
Friday 28 August
A mocha at Kootenai Coffee for free wifi then a visit to the North Idaho Fair at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds today...heaps of critters and a wonderful huckleberry milkshake. Inez and I then drove to Spokane to visit REI and the Chocolate Apothecary at the Flour Mill!
Thursday 27 August
More sunshine today! Inez and I drove her Prius to Coeur d'Alene to explore the city and to walk the boardwalk along the water and Tubbs Hill. I also had a free brake check at Les Schwab and they are fine.
Wednesday 26 August
Sunshine in Idaho! I missed connecting with my friends in Rathdrum yesterday so camped....they have no internet and I have no phone! So we will meet today. Spent morning on internet with free wifi at Kootenai Coffee then a lie on the beach at Hayden Lake then decided to look for food at noon at the shopping mall and ran into my friend Inez, friend from my college days! We had great lunch at the Yellow House then back to her beautiful home on five acres. Nice quiet sleep listening to the coyotes.
Tuesday 25 August (Bonners Ferry to Rathdrum Idaho 110 miles)
Cold overnite but warm and sunny today. Wonderful visit with Steve and Donna and walk on the property. Now enjoying mocha and pastry at the Bread Basket (Mennonite) Bakery in Bonners Ferry and catching up on internet and skyping. I am now thinking of heading to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons after my visit in Rathdrum since it will be after Labor Day and before winter!
Monday 24 August (West Glacier Montana to Bonners Ferry Idaho 270 miles)
Early morning drive along Flathead Lake then a visit to Hot Springs. Wonderful walk among the trees at Ross Creek Cedars. Camping in Bonners Ferry because tomorrow I will visit Steve and Donna. They are neighbors of Katy and Dan, my friends in Juneau, who bought property here. I will then drive to Rathdrum and visit a friend from college. Gained an hour today...back on Pacific time.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.